Oral piercing aftercare: (lip and tongue)
Never, never touch a piercing with dirty hands! Do not touche it, do not move it, do not play with it!
LIP PIERCING AFTERCARE:
1. The fastest and most effective way to heal your piercing is to keep it clean. Wash the outside every time you shower or wash your face, only with water, no soap! Rinse the area with cold / warm water for about 2 or 3 minutes for the first 4 or 5 days, from the fourth or fifth day use hot water. Wash the area around the jewel without touching or moving it. Do not increase the number of daily showers or face cleansers you use regularly, as this could irritate the skin and delay healing.
2. After cleaning it with water it is very very important to dry it. A dry wound heals much faster than a wet wound! Dry it with sterile gauzes. If there are traces of dirt between the jewel and the skin, try to gently remove them with the same gauze.
3. At least once a day, clean the outside of your piercing with saline solution. Use physiological saline, single-dose or spray. Soak sterile gauze with the solution and apply it to the piercing for ten minutes, or pour the solution directly into and around the piercing, without touching it with the vial or spray, for 10 minutes. Rinse it with water and dry it with sterile gases.
4. For 10 days, after the three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), brush your teeth with a new toothbrush and rinse the inside of the piercing with a mild alcohol-free mouth solution for 30-60 seconds.
5. Do not use alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, betadine, antibiotic ointments, etc. only water and physiological saline on the outside and mouthwash on the inside.
TONGUE PIERCING AFTERCARE:
1. For the first 5 days, after the three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), brush your teeth with a new toothbrush and rinse with a mild alcohol-free mouth solution for 30-60 seconds. It is also advisable to rinse after each meal, cigarette, drink, etc., but more than 4 or 5 rinses per day are not recommended since excessive use could burn the area (if the tongue turns a color that goes from white to yellow, it means that you are rinsing it too much). So the first 5 days it is advisable to avoid food, cigarettes, drinks, etc. more than 4 or 5 times a day and when you can not avoid it, rinse by reducing the oral solution to 50% with water.
2. For the next 5 days, after your three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), brush your teeth with a new toothbrush and rinse with a mild alcohol-free mouth solution for 30-60 seconds. If you eat, smoke, drink etc outside of the main meals, no need to rinse.
3. Tongue swelling is normal during the initial healing period (usually 3 - 5 days). The swelling can go down significantly by eating something cold, such as ice cream, slushies, etc ..., but do not use ice cubes directly in the area, you can melt an ice cube in a glass of water and drink it.
GENERAL AFTERCARE OF PIERCINGS IN THE ORAL AREA:
1. Don’t take off the jewel, leave it on! After 2 or 3 weeks, when the swelling has gone down, stop by the studio to change the jewel for a shorter one.
2. During the first days of healing (4-5 days) avoid taking aspirin, too much caffeine, drugs and alcoholic drinks (alcohol increases swelling). Also avoid spicy, salty, acidic or too hot foods and drinks.
3. If you are a smoker, try to reduce the amount of cigarettes, unless it creates stress (stress is one of the worst enemies in piercing healing process).
4. For two weeks, do not expose the piercing to the water of swimming pools, lakes, sea, jacuzzi, etc., if you are not sure that the water is totally clean. If you doubt its cleanliness, avoid bathing or, at least, put on a patch that allows the passage of oxygen but not water (they are sold in pharmacies).
5. Avoid contact with the body fluids of others near the piercing during healing.
6. Avoid chewing gum, tobacco, nails, pens, etc ...
7. Avoid hair products, creams, makeup, etc. entering the piercing during healing
8. If when you eat you feel pain, chew slower and with small bites or go to something softer (probably the first days you will want to eat soft foods ... Listen to your body!).
In the healing period it is normal for the piercing to ooze a yellow fluid, do not be alarmed, it is the plasma of the blood, lymph and dead cells that come out of the piercing, it indicates that the piercing is healing; It is also normal, the days after having performed the piercing, that there is swelling, irritation and discomfort in the area where it is located. If a little blood comes out of the piercing it is also normal. If instead, the suppuration becomes denser, greenish-yellow in color, the area hurts and is very irritated, do not hesitate to contact me.
For any questions, curiosity or problems, contact me. Call or stop by the studio. Come by the studio a week after the piercing to monitor the healing process and after the second/third week to change the jewel.